It all started on Monday, October 16th. I went to work that morning and by the afternoon I was having so many contractions in an hour that I called my doctor. I spoke with her nurse and was told to go home, lay down and drink a lot of water. I did and the contractions seemed to slow down. I had an appt. scheduled for the next day anyway, so I was comfortable with just waiting to be seen.
I woke the next day feeling so much better. I wasn’t noticing as many contractions, but at my appt. Tuesday afternoon I was dilated 1cm and 90% effaced. My dr. hooked me up to monitors just to see if I was contracting and not feeling them. If I was, she would admit. And I was contracting about every two to three minutes. I never felt them. So off to the hospital we went.
They started me on magnesium to stop the contractions, and this we were told would also help protect babies’ brains and lower the risk of cerebral palsy and other defects. They also gave me steroid shots to help with their lung development. Both drugs needed 48 hours to be effective, so I thought we were looking at a short stay. I was still contracting, but nothing was happening with my cervix. I kept drinking lots of water and that seemed to help. On Friday, after the 48hours, I was still only 1cm. I wanted to go home that night, but my dr. said no, let’s see what happens after one more night. My contractions seemed to be worse at night, and that proved to be true Friday night as well. They were also beginning to be more painful. They checked me again early Saturday morning, and I was at 3cm and 100% effaced. They restarted the magnesium to see if that would stop the contractions. It didn’t. I went all day kind of in limbo. They were trying to hold things off as long as possible. I needed pain meds by this time, and I wasn’t able to sleep. I knew that this was happening soon.
We had discussed the birth plan with my dr. earlier in the week and decided that if I didn’t make it to 32 weeks, I’d have to have a c-section. This would be safer for Lynley because she was breech and much smaller than him. I was 30 weeks and 6 days. So, we continued to skate by hour by hour and around 3:15p, I just couldn’t take it anymore. The contractions were getting very painful, and I didn’t want to keep taking narcotics, so I requested that they check me again. I was 5cm! It was time.
Everything was a bit overwhelming even though I had been anticipating it all day. So many faces starting appearing in front of us, and they were all talking so quickly. I remember being upset and my wonderful nurse calming me down. She was so sweet and really made me feel comfortable with what was about to happen. The anesthesiologist was also really funny, so that took the edge off. Within minutes I was being wheeled into the operating room. I was nervous about the epidural, but to my surprise it was nothing. I barely noticed it at all, and about 30 minutes later I heard my baby boy cry. It was the most amazing sound in the world, and Derrick and I cried too. I kissed him and they started their assessment. A minute later, we heard our baby girl cry. Derrick followed the team out to take pictures, and it seemed like it was taking forever for them to close me up! I was anxious to see my babies. They brought them back in, and Lynley grabbed my finger. It was a beautiful moment.
|Corbin with a full head of sandy blonde hair!|
|Holding Lynley's hand.|
|Sleepy baby boy after trying to drink from a nipple.|
|Lynley always has her eyes open. Her brother got all the hair!|
And we’ve made it through week one in the NICU! Babies are doing extremely well. Update with tons of cute pictures coming soon.